Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Paragon

 

Former name retained.

 

(PYc–36: dp. 176; l. 138’2”; b. 19’4”; dr. 9’6” (mean); s. 14 k.; a. 1 6-pdr.)

 

Paragon (PYe–36), a motor yacht built in 1929 by the Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, was acquired by the Maritime Commission on requisition purchase from the Case Construction Co. of California; delivered to the Navy 7 April 1942; converted at the Craig Shipbuilding Co., Long Beach, Calif.; and commissioned 2 September 1942, Lt. E. E. Adams in command.

 

The day after commissioning Paragon reported at San Pedro for duty under Commander, Western Sea Frontier. For the duration of her brief naval career she patrolled the coast of Southern California, primarily in the Los AngelesSan Pedro area. Decommissioned 27 January 1944, Paragon was struck from the Navy Register 29 July 1944 and returned to the Maritime Commission 23 April 1945.