Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pulaski

 

Casimir Pulaski, born in Podolia, Poland about 1748 was active in the Polish independence movement and in 1772 fled to Turkey, thence to Paris and Boston in 1777. Joining the Continental Army, he served at Brandywine and Germantown, then led cavalry units during the winter of 177778. Refusing to serve under Gen. Anthony Wayne, he resigned his command in March 1778. Forming an independent cavalry corps he continued to serve the cause of American independence. After service along the Delaware, he was ordered south in February 1779 to block British forces moving up from Savannah. After defeat he joined with Gen. Lincoln and the French fleet to attack Savannah. Mortally wounded during the seige of that city, he died aboard the vessel Wasp.

 

(SwGbt: t. 395; a. 3 12-pdr. how.)

 

Pulaski, a wooden steamer built as Metacomet in New York in 1854, was chartered by the Navy in 1858 for the expedition against Paraguay and renamed Pulaski. Purchased by the Navy in 1859, she arrived at Asuncion 25 January 1859, Lt. William H. Macomb commanding. Payment of an indemnity and apology, however, settled the Water Witch affair peacefully and no action was taken by the 19 ships of war.

 

Pulaski was subsequently decommissioned and sold at auction at Montevideo, 22 January 1863.