Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Provo Victory

 

A commercial name retained.

 

(AK–228: dp. 15,180 (f.); l. 455’3”; b. 62’; dr. 28’6”; s. 15 k.; cpl. 99; a. 1 5”, 1 3”, 8 20mm.; cl. Boulder Victory; T. VC2–S–AP2)

 

Provo Victory (AK–228) was laid down 28 June 1944 by Permanente Metals Corp. #1, Richmond, Calif., as S.S. Provo Victory (MCV hull 537); launched 9 September 1944; acquired by the Navy 18 October, and commissioned 18 October 1944, Lt. Comdr. John E. Johansen in command.

 

Following shakedown off California, Provo Victory (AK–228) reported for duty 8 November 1944. In 1944 she operated at San Francisco in November, and then at Eniwetok, Ulithi, and the Palau Islands from December 1944 into February 1945. During the remainder of 1945 her cargo duties took her to Guam and Pearl Harbor in March, Seattle in April, Ulithi in May, Leyte from June to October, Eniwetok and Seattle in November.

 

Decommissioned 10 April 1946, she was returned to the War Shipping Administration at Seattle, Wash., that day, and was struck from the Naval Vessel Register 8 May 1946.