Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Provo

 

A city in north central Utah, population 36,000, settled by Mormons in 1849.

 

(AG–173: dp. 15,199 (f); l. 455’3”; b. 62’; d. 28’5”; s. 17 k.; cpl. 50; a. none; cl. Phoenix)

 

Provo, a special projects ship, was laid down 28 April 1945; launched 17 June 1945 by Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, Portland, Ore.; sponsored by Miss Anna P. Burkhalter; and delivered as Drew Victory 14 July 1945. While in merchant marine service, she was subsequently renamed California and Utah.

 

On 2 March 1963, she was acquired by MSTS from the Maritime Administration, and renamed Provo, 20 November 1962, with the designation of Special Project Ship (AG–173).In July 1963, she and two other MSTS ships, Cheyenne and Phoenix, were stationed at Subic Bay, Philippines, as Forward Floating Depots. This mission concept involved the use of depot ships for floating storage and issuance of vital military materials in meeting contingencies. The operational application of the concept was tested in 1964 in operation “Quick Release.”

 

The ship is currently acting as a point to point cargo carrier, delivering military supplies to Okinawa and Viet Nam from stocking points in Japan and Subic Bay.