The capital of Rhode Island, in turn named in thanksgiving for God’s guidance and care.
(Gundalow: l. 53’4”; b. 15’6”; dph. 3’10”; cpl. 45; a. 1 12-pdr.; 2 9-pdrs.; 8 swivels)
During the Revolutionary War, Providence, a gundalow, was built at Skenesboro, N.Y., on Lake Champlain by the Continental Army for Brigadier-General Benedict Arnold’s fleet on Lake Champlain in 1776.
Under the command of Captain Simonds, an Army officer, she participated in the engagement between Arnold’s fleet and a British squadron at Valcour Island on 11 October 1776. After the battle, their ammunition nearly exhausted, the Americans retreated towards Crown Point, with the enemy in pursuit and the next morning (the 12th) Providence, being badly damaged, was sunk at Schuyler’s Island by her own crew to prevent capture. This tactical defeat was a strategic victory for the Americans since Arnold’s little fleet enabled the rebelling colonists to prepare for the renewed British onslaught the following summer which ended in Burgoyne’s defeat at Saratoga.