Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Prince

 

A son of a king.

 

(CVE–45: dp. 9,800; l. 492’3”; b. 69’6”; ew. 111’6”; dr. 25’6”; s. 17 k.; cpl. 646; a. 24 aircraft, 2 4”, 16 40mm., 20 mm.)

 

McClure (AVG–45) was reclassified ACV–45 on 20 August 1942; laid down 17 December 1942 by Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Co., Wash.; renamed Prince 13 November 1942; launched 18 May 1943; sponsored by Mrs. J. L. McGuigan; reclassified CVE–45 on 15 July 1943; and transferred to the United Kingdom under Lend Lease 17 October 1943.

 

Prince served the United Kingdom as Rajah (D–10). *She was returned to the Navy at Norfolk, Va., 13 December 1946. Struck from the Naval Vessel Register 7 February 1947, she was delivered to her purchaser, Waterman Steamship Corp., 7 July, and became the merchant ship Drente in 1948.