A perennial with large tufted basal leaves and variously colored flowers.
(ScStr: t. 94; l. 83’; b. IT; dph. 9’; dr. 7’; a. 1 30-pdr. P.r., 1 24-pdr. how.)
The tug Primrose, a wooden screw steamer, purchased as Nellie B. Vaughn 14 January 1863, at Washington, D.C., was renamed Primrose; fitted out at the Washington Navy Yard; and commissioned 26 February 1863, acting Master Street in command.
Assigned to the Potomac Flotilla for duty in the Potomac and adjacent waters, Primrose participated in operations in the Nansemond River in April and in the Curritoman in May. On 2 June, with Anacostia, she took the sloop Flying Cloud at Tapp’s Creek, Va., then on the 20th captured the sloop Richard Vaux off Blakistone Island in the Potomac.
Laid up for repairs in February 1864, Primose returned to active duty in April, remaining with the Potomac River forces until 1866. Then assigned to the Washington Navy Yard, she remained active until 1871, when she was placed in ordinary. She was sold at Washington to J. W. Denty, 17 March 1871.