A town in Yavapai County, Arizona.
(PCS–1423: dp. 338 (f.); l. 136’0”; b. 24’6”; dr. 8’7”; s. 14 k.; cpl. 57; a. 1 3”, 1 40mm., 2 20mm., 2 dct., 4 dcp.; cl. PCS–1376)
PCS–1423 was laid down by the Burger Boat Co., Manitowoc, Wise., 22 December 1942; launched 22 May 1943; and commissioned at New Orleans 16 November 1943, Lt. (jg) William C. Hall, USNR, in command.
After shakedown, PCS–1423 was assigned to TG 23.3, Fleet Sound School Squadron, U.S. Atlantic Fleet, based at Key West, Fla., until the end of World War II. Primarily employed as a sonar school ship, she also rotated with others of the same type for harbor guard and night patrol duties. In addition to sonar and antisubmarine warfare training, she also conducted gunnery, torpedo approach, and anti-aircraft exercises off Key West throughout World War II.
Transferred to the west coast after the war, she operated as a school ship for Fleet Sonar School, San Diego, Calif. until May 1955, when she retransited the Panama Canal, and headed for the Gulf Coast. Arriving at New Orleans, 2 June, she continued on to Vicksburg, Miss., where she was placed out of commission, in service, 18 June 1955 and assigned to Naval Reserve Training duties. Between 1955 and 1961 PCS–1423, renamed Prescott (15 February 1956), trained reservists in the 6th Naval District. Then reassigned, she served in the 3rd Naval District, until placed out of service and struck from the Navy List 1 March 1962. On 27 June 1962 she was sold to Frank Reis, Long Island, New York.