Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Prentiss

 

A county in Mississippi.

 

(AKA–102: dp. 13,910; l. 459’2”; b. 63’0”; dr. 26’4”; s. 16 k.; cpl. 425; a. 1 5”, 8 40mm.; cl. Tolland; T. C2–S–AJ3)

 

Prentiss (AKA–102) was laid down as MC hull 1699 by the North Carolina Shipbuilding Co., Wilmington, N.C., 10 October 1944; launched 6 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Roger Williams; acquired on loan charter basis from the Maritime Commission by the Navy 12 January 1945; and commissioned 11 February 1945, Lt. Comdr. George P. Walker, USNR, in command.

 

After shakedown in the Chesapeake Bay area, Prentiss sailed from Norfolk for Pearl Harbor, arriving 13 April. She departed Hawaii 6 May with ammunition and general cargo for Okinawa. Within hours of her arrival, 21 June, she underwent one of that area’s frequent attacks. During the action her gunners splashed a kamikaze. Following this spirited reception, unloading of her volatile cargo was speedy; she departed the area 27 June.

 

Returning to San Francisco 28 July, she remained on the west coast until after the end of hostilities. She then loaded general cargo and sailed for Pearl Harbor and the southwest Pacific. Between October 1945 and February 1946 she carried cargo between the Philippines, the Netherland East Indies, and Australia. Returning to the U.S., she decommissioned 31 May 1946, was returned to the War Shipping Administration 1 June 1946, and was struck from the Navy List 19 June 1946. She has since served commercially as SS Alcoa Ranger.

 

Prentiss received one battle star for World War II service.