Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Poughkeepsie

 

A city on the east bank of the Hudson River, 65 miles north of New York City.

 

(PF–26: dp. 1,430; l. 304’; b. 37’6”; dr. 12’; s. 20 k.; cpl. 180; a. 3 3”, 6 40mm., 9 20mm., 8 dcp., 2 dct.; cl. Tacoma; T. S2– S2–AQ1)

 

Poughkeepsie (PF–26), a frigate, was laid down for the Maritime Commission 3 June 1943 by Walter Butler Shipbuilders, Inc., Superior, Wise.; launched 12 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Frank M. Doran; and transferred to the Navy and commissioned 6 September 1944, Comdr. Q. M. Greeley, USCG, in command.

 

After shakedown off Bermuda, Poughkeepsie called at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard for post shakedown availability 29 October through 31 January 1945. During February and March, she made one convoy escort run to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Then, after ASW training in the New London Operating Area at the end of March, she commenced ASW patrols and convoy escort duties along the east coast, operating between New York and Norfolk through 3 July 1945.

 

Standing out of New York Harbor 9 July, the frigate transited the Panama Canal, reported to Comrmander, Pacific Fleet for duty, and put in at Seattle, Wash. to prepare for transfer to the Soviet Union. Leased to the Soviets 2 October 1945, she served under the lied flag until 31 October 1949, when she was returned to the United States at Yokosuka, Japan.

 

Poughkeepsie remained at Yokosuka in an inactive status until nominated for transfer to SCAJAP 23 March 1951 for weather patrol duties. Transferred on loan to Japan 14 January 1953, the frigate was renamed Momi and commenced operations under the Japanese flag. Struck from the Naval Vessel Register 1 December 1961, she was transferred to the Japanese outright on 28 August 1962. Decommissioned on 1 April 1965, she was used as a nonoperable dockside training ship until early 1969 when she was transferred to South Korea for cannibalization.