A former name retained.
(SP–1533: dp. 8,060; b. 47’11”; dr. 22’6” (mean); s. 14 k.; cpl. 70)
Panuco (SP–1533), built in 1917 by the Seattle Construction and Drydock Co., Seattle, Wash., was acquired 13 September 1918 on bare boat charter from the New York and Cuba Mail S.S. Co., New York City, and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. E. B. Lambert, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to NOTS, Panuco was carried on both the Army and Shipping Board accounts before her return to her owner. On the Army account until 23 December 1918, she carried general cargo to France (26 September–16 October 1918) and returned, in ballast, to New York in November. Transferred to the Shipping Board account, she sailed from New Orleans, 22 January 1919, and carried cargo to various South American ports. She returned to New York 19 April, decommissioned 28 April and was turned over to the Shipping Board the same day for return to her owner.