A garden plant derived chiefly from the wild Pansy of Europe by hybridizing the latter with other wild violets.
(ScTug: t. 46; a. 1 12-pdr.)
Sampson, a screw tug built in 1861 at New Haven, Mo., was purchased by the Army in the fall of 1861 for the use of the Western Flotilla; transferred to the Navy 30 September 1862; and placed in service the same day, Acting Ensign William Harris in command.
Renamed Pansy 24 October 1862 the tug served the Mississippi squadron throughout the Civil War. Operating primarily out of Cario, III., and Vicksburg, Miss., she towed larger ships and acted as a dispatch vessel. After the war she served as a tug at Mound City until sold there 1 September 1868.