A former name retained.
(Ship: t. 1,375; l. 202’3”; b. 38’2”; dph. 19’1”; dr. 20’; cpl. 50; a. 4 32-pdrs.)
Pampero, a wooden, ship rigged vessel launched at Mystic, Conn., 18 August 1853 by Charles Mallory, was purchased by the Navy at New York 7 July 1861 from J. Bishop & Co.; and commissioned in August 1861, Acting Master Charles W. Lamson in command.
Pampero was assigned to the Gulf Blockading Squadron for service as a storeship and collier, and arrived off Ft. Pickins, Fla. 19 September. She supplied the ships and bases of the Squadron until it was divided in February 1862. She was then placed in the West Gulf Blockading Squadron and supporting Farragut’s operations through much of the war, making occasional voyages north to replenish. She decommissioned at New York 20 July 1866 and was sold at auction there 1 October 1867.