Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Palo Blanco

 

A tree: Spanish name meaning white tree.

 

(ATA–214: dp. 1,550; l. 194’6”; b. 34’7”; dr. 14’1”; s. 12.1 k.; cpl. 57; a. 2 40mm.; cl. ATA–214)

 

Palo Blanco (ATA–214) was laid down 22 May 1943 as YN–85; re-designated AN–64, 20 January 1944; launched 17 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Isabella A. Gamage; re-designated ATA–214, 12 August 1944; lost the name Palo Blanco; and commissioned 25 September 1944.

 

During her brief war-time career, ATA–214 served in the Pacific. In July 1945, she provided auxiliary tug services in and around Leyte Gulf. On the 12th, she steamed to Buckner Bay, Okinawa, but returned to San Pedro Bay, Leyte the 25th. After the war, the ship decommissioned in September 1945; she was transferred to the Maritime Commission 30 April 1947.