A county and a city in southeastern Florida.
(AGER–3; dp. 938; l. 179’10”; b. 32’; dr. 9’3”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 67; cl. Banner)
One of 18 small freight supply ships laid down by Higgins Industries, Inc. in New Orleans for the Army Transportation Corps, she was delivered in December 1944 and designated FS–217, an Aircraft Repair and Supply Vessel. Based first at San Francisco, she later served in the Caribbean where, following World War II, she participated in coastal survey work in the Lesser Antilles and off Central America. She was based at Balboa, Canal Zone, before being placed in reserve 17 February 1956.
Acquired by the Navy 18 May 1966, she was named Palm Beach and designated a Light Cargo Ship (AKL–45) 18 June. She was brought to Puget Sound Naval Shipyard 11 July for conversion to an Environmental Research Ship; redesignated AGER–3 on 2 May 1967; and commissioned 13 May, Lt. Comdr. Albert D. Raper in command. Following shakedown. Palm Beach departed Bremerton, Wash. for her homeport, Norfolk, where she arrived 21 November. This ship’s mission is to conduct technical research operations in an ocean environment to support oceanographic, electromagnetic, and related research projects. She deployed to Holy Loch, Scotland 20 May 1968, visiting several Norwegian ports before returning to Little Creek 17 October. After several months of material maintenance and upkeep, she departed for the Mediterranean 19 April 1969 where she remained into July. She was struck from the Naval Vessel Register 1 December 1969.