(AF39: dp. 7,125; l. 3386; b. 50; dr. 21; sp. 11.5 k.; cpl. 86; a. 1 3, 6 20mm.; cl. Adria)
Palisana (AF39) was laid down by the Pennsylvania Shipyards, Inc., Beaumont, Tex. 28 August 1944 under contract with the U.S. Maritime Commission; launched 21 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Hugh R. Jones; delivered to the U.S. Navy on a bareboat charter basis on 22 March 1945; commissioned 16 April 1945, Lt. G. S. Dietrich in command.
Following shakedown, Palisana took on cargo in Mobile, Ala., transited the Panama Canal 18 May and proceeded to Pearl Harbor where she joined ServRon 8, U.S. Pacific Fleet. She departed Pearl Harbor 14 June bound for Ulithi, Caroline Islands. From there she sailed to Okinawa with cargo for various ships of the fleet and army units ashore there. Under continuing threat of air attack, she remained at Okinawa until 13 August when she returned to Ulithi. Thence she steamed to New Zealand and the Marianas. She transported returning servicemen to Seattle in early November, returned to Okinawa 22 January 1946 and carried out service missions to occupation forces in Korea and China before returning to Puget Sound Navy Yard 26 March.
Palisana was returned to the U.S. Maritime Commission 22 May. She was struck from the Naval Register 19 June 1946.