A fence or obstruction used as a means of defense.
(AM270: dp. 647 (It.); l. 1846; b. 33; dr. 99; sp. 14.8 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3, 2 40mm., 6 20mm., 3 dcp., 2 dct., cl. Admirable)
Palisade (AM270) was laid down by the Gulf Shipbuilding Corp., Chickasaw, Ala. 21 September 1942; launched 26 June 1943; sponsored by Mrs. W. C. Ellis; commissioned 9 March 1944, Lt. Comdr. W. H. Rothwell in command.
Following shakedown, Palisade conducted sweeping operations in Argentia, Newfoundland as part of MineRon 33 then was fitted out as a temporary weather ship. She patrolled in the North Atlantic in this capacity for the remainder of the year with occasional calls at east coast ports in the United States. In January, 1945 she was refitted with minesweeping equipment and after overhaul in Philadelphia deployed to the Panama Canal Zone 27 February. Transiting the Canal 8 March, she proceeded to Seattle, Wash. where she prepared for transfer under Lend-Lease to the Soviet navy. Palisade sailed for Kodiak, Alaska 7 April then proceeded to Cold Bay, Alaska. The first weeks of May were spent in familiarization exercises for the benefit of the new crew. Palisade decommissioned 21 May and was transferred to the Soviet Union.