Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Otis W. Douglas

 

A former name retained.

 

(SP–313; t. 300; l. 158’; b. 24’; dr. 8’9”; s. 12 mph.; a. 2 3”, 2 mg.)

 

Otis W. Douglas, a motor freight boat built by Jackson & Sharpe, Wilmington, Del. in 1912, was acquired by the Navy from Douglas Co., Inc., Reedville, Va. 7 April 1917 and commissioned 10 August 1917 at Norfolk, Lt. Grant T. Stephansen in command.

 

Immediately after commissioning, Douglas departed Norfolk for Brest, France to assume mine sweeping duties around Belle Isla and the entrance to Loire River. Her efforts aided in keeping convoy routes clear for the safe passage of troop ships and supply vessels. Continuing these efforts until spring 1919, Douglas worked until the last mines were destroyed.

 

She departed Brest for the United States with Courtney and other vessels 27 April 1919. Although weather conditions appeared favorable, a storm developed shortly after their departure. The ships headed back toward Brest, but in the heavy seas, Otis W. Douglas began leaking badly and she sank 27 April 1919.