An Iroquois word meaning “at the very outlet.”
(YTB–515: dp. 345 (f.); l. 100’; b. 26’; dr. 9’7”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 10; cl. Cholocco)
Oswegatchie (YTB–515) was laid down 13 August 1945 by Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Ore.; launched 24 October 1945; and placed in service 28 December 1945.
In service for only a little over three months, Oswegatchie operated briefly in the 13th Naval District, then proceeded down the west coast to San Diego where she was placed out of service, in reserve, in March 1946. A unit of the Reserve Fleet for over a decade and a half, she was brought out of reserve in January 1963 and transferred, on lease, to the government of Venezuela. Redesignated on the Navy List as YTM–778, in March 1966, Oswegatchie continues, into 1969, to serve the Venezuelan Navy as Gen. Jose Felix Rivas (R–13).