A swift-footed two-toed flightless ratite bird with valuable wing and tail plumes that is the largest of existing birds and weighs 300 pounds.
(YMS430; dp. 290; l. 136; b. 246; dr. 6; s. 12 k.; a. 13, 2 20mm; cpl. 50; cl. YMS135)
The third Ostrich was laid down 10 November 1943 as YMS430 by the Tacoma Boat Building Co.; launched 23 March 1944; and commissioned 10 October, Lt. R. G. Bates in command.
After shakedown, she sailed for Pearl Harbor 19 December as part of a screen for a small convoy. She arrived 28 December and sailed 4 January 1945, escorting a convoy to Eniwetok. She then sailed to Ulithi arriving 5 Feb. She remained in the area until departing 14 June for Okinawa to engage in Minesweeping operations. YMS430 remained there until 8 September, when she departed for Japan. Arriving at Wakayama, she remained in Japanese homewaters, clearing Japanese harbors and waters of mines, until 16 February 1946, when she sailed for home. She arrived at San Pedro, Calif. 2 April and shortly after departed for Charleston, S. C. arriving 3 July. There YMS430 was immobilized and placed in reduced commission due to a lack of personnel. On 10 December, YMS430 was once again placed in full commission and began training operations along the Southern Atlantic Coast. On 18 February 1947, YMS430 was named Ostrich and redesignated AMS29. Ostrich, in company with other sister ships, continued her operations along the Atlantic coast going as far north as Labrador and south as Florida, making frequent port calls. On 7 February 1955, Ostrich was redesignated MSCO29. Besides participating in several minesweeping training exercises, Ostrich also performed hydrographic work on occasion. Ostrich continued in this capacity until December 1957, when she proceeded to Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she was decommissioned in January 1958. Struck from the U. S. Naval Vessel Register 1 November 1959, Ostrich was sold for scrap early the next year.