A swift-footed two-toed flightless ratite bird with valuable wing and tail plumes that is the largest of existing birds and weighs 300 pounds.
(SP1249; l. 35; b. 53; dr. 28; cpl. 2)
Ostrich was built by Elco Co., Bayonne, N. J. in 1909 for Mr. Nathan Strauss, Jr.; acquired on loan 20 July 1917 and placed in service 25 October 1917.
Attached to the 3rd Naval District throughout the war, Ostrich was decommissioned and returned to her owner 23 December 1918.