A large, hawk-like bird with dark brown back and a white breast, found in most countries of the world.
(AM–56; dp. 810; l. 220’5”; b. 32’; dr. 9’5”; s. 18.1 k.; cpl. 105; a. 2 3”, 2 dct.; cl. Raven)
Osprey (AM–56) was laid down 28 June 1939 at the Navy Yard, Norfolk, Va.; launched 24 August 1940; sponsored by Miss Margaret Kays; and commissioned 16 December 1940, Lt. Cdr. C. L. Blackwell in command.
The United States’ entrance into World War II extended Osprey’s coastal patrol and escort duties first to the Caribbean area and by 8 November to North Africa. On D-Day she helped direct and protect the waves of landing craft moving shoreward at Port Lyautey, Morocco. Anti-submarine patrol off Casablanca preceded her return to another year of coastal escort assignments out of Norfolk.
On 3 April 1944 the mine sweeper departed for England to take part in operation “Overlord”. With other units of MinRon 7 she had successfully conducted sweeping operations off off Tor Bay, England but 5 June, enroute to the Normandy invasion beaches, Osprey struck an enemy mine. The crew put out the resultant fires but could not save their valiant vessel. She sank that evening and was struck from the Navy List 22 August 1944.
Osprey (AM–56) received two battle stars for World War II service.
The name Osprey was assigned to AM–406 on 17 May 1945, but construction of the ship was cancelled 11 August 1945.