Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Oskaloosa

 

Cities in Iowa and Kansas.

 

(ScStr.: dp. 12,200 (D.); l. 427; b. 54; dr. 25; s. 10.5 k.; cpl. 84)

 

Oskaloosa (ID.3800), built by the Western Pipe and Steel Co., San Francisco, Calif., in 1918 for USSB, was turned over to the Navy 20 December 1918 and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. Matthew C. Johnson, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, Oskaloosa took on a cargo of flour at Porta Costa and sailed for New York 11 January 1919. Steaming via the Panama Canal, she arrived 5 February. Scheduled to continue on to Europe, her orders were canceled and, on the 27th, she was decommissioned and returned to USSB. She remained in USSB custody until 1930.