A Penobscot chief, descendant of Baron de Castine and supporter of the American cause during the Revolutionary War.
(YTB–190: dp. 265; l. 100’; b. 25’; dr. 9’7” (mean); s. 12 k.; cpl. 11; a. 2 mg.; cl. Woban)
Orono was laid down as YT–190, 16 May 1942, by the Pacific Coast Engineering Co., Alameda, Calif.; launched 11 July 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Agnes Robertson; and placed in service 29 May 1943.
Assigned to the 13th Naval District, Orono steamed north soon after fitting out to handle ships in the Columbia River area. Based at Astoria, she assisted CVE’s and APA’s, built at Portland, into the Port Docks for outfitting. The tug, reclassified YTB–190 in May 1944, continued this work throughout World War II, occasionally adding towage of drydock sections from Longview to Seattle to her duties. She remained at Port Docks until late 1946, then shifting to Tongue Point to handle ships of the Columbia River Group of the Pacific Reserve Fleet and to act as fire tug for the base. Reassigned in mid-1961 and reclassified YTM–190 in February 1962, she has served the 12th Naval District, headquartered at San Francisco, into 1970.