Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Oosterdijk

 

A former name retained.

 

(Str: dp. 11,900; l. 450’4”; b. 55’; dr. 31’9”; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 107)

 

Oosterdijk (ID–2586), a cargo ship, was built for the Holland-America Line in 1913 by Irvine Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Ltd., West Hartlepool, England. One of the first Dutch vessels seized under the President’s Proclamation dated 20 March 1918, she was interned at Baltimore, Md. the next day and commissioned into NOTS 2 April, Lt. Comdr. Arthur H. Webber in command.

 

After refitting at Baltimore, Oosterdijk took on a cargo of general supplies. She next steamed to Norfolk, Va. to load naval stores, and thence proceeded to New York City where she joined a convoy destined for France. Departing in convoy 25 April, she called at Brest and then went on to discharge her general supplies and naval stores at St. Nazaire. After a twelve day Atlantic crossing, she arrived Baltimore 21 June.

 

Oosterdijk underwent minor repairs at Baltimore, bunkered at Norfolk, and then departed New York 2 July for her second convoy transit to France. One week later she collided with the American steamship San Jacinto in the bleak North Atlantic. Both ships, seriously damaged, were forced to turn about to steam for the nearest port.

 

Despite the efforts of her crew to save her, Oosterdijk had to be abandoned 10 July and sank at 1530 that afternoon. San Jacinto carried Oosterdijk’s crew members to Halifax, Nova Scotia.