An Esopus chief who negotiated an agreement with Gov. R. Nicolls of New York in 1665.
(YTB–277: dp. 400; l. 110’; b. 27’ dr. 11’4”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 20; a. 2 50 cal mg.; cl. Cahto).
Onockatin (YTB–277) was laid down as YT–277, 14 April 1943 at Luders Marine Construction Co., Stamford, Conti.; launched 30 December 1943; reclassified YTB–277, 15 May 1944; and placed in service 1 June 1944.
The needs of the Navy kept the Onockatin steaming within the same naval district in which she had been built, the 3rd, for fifteen years. Assisting with docking, towing, and rescue operations, she became a familiar part of the New York harbor scene. Struck from the Naval Register 1 February 1960, YTB–277 was authorized for disposal in May 1961.