Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Oneyana

 

Principal Oneida chief during the negotiation of a 1788 treaty.

 

(YTB–262: dp. 400; l. 110’; b. 27’; dr. 11’4”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 10 a. 2 50 cal. mg.; cl. Cahto)

 

Oneyana (YTB–262) was laid down as YT–262, 20 June 1943 at J. M. Martinac Shipbuilding Co., Tacoma, Wash.launched 27 March 1944; reclassified YTB 262, 15 May 1944: and placed in service 23 August 1944.

 

After sea trials Oneyana departed the West Coast for duty under the Commandant, 14th Naval District. As a harbor tug she assisted the larger naval vessels in docking and berthing at Pearl Harbor and executed towing missions throughout the Hawaiian Islands for over 17 years. Redesignated YTM–262 in February 1962 she was shortly thereafter struck from the Naval Register and authorized for disposal in August 1963.