Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Oneota

 

A tribe of Sioux which occupied lands in what is now Nebraska.

 

II

 

(AN–85: dp. 775 (f.); l. 168’6”; b. 33’10”; dr. 10’9”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 46; a. 1 3”; cl. Cohoes)

 

Oneota (AN–85), originally designated YM–110, was laid down 9 February 1944 by the Marine Iron and Shipbuilding Co., Duluth, Minn.; named Oncota, 26 February 1944; launched 27 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Peter S. Rudie; and commissioned 12 March 1945, Lt. Robert W. Morgan in command.

 

On 10 April 1945 Oneota steamed out into Lake Superior enroute to the St. Lawrence and the Atlantic. Arriving Boston early in May, she remained in southern New England waters for a month, then headed for the Pacific. Between 25 July 1945 and 21 January 1946 she operated along the west coast from the Naval Net Depot, Tiburon, Calif., and on 29 January she arrived at Pearl Harbor for a 2 month stay.

 

Assigned to JTU 1.2.7, the salvage group for operation “Crossroads” in March, she steamed for Bikini on the 22nd. There on 2 April she joined others of her task group in preparing nearby waters for atomic tests Able and Baker. Until July she planted moorings and assisted in the arrangement of target vessels. Following the tests of 1 and 25 July, she participated in salvage operations and, on 26 August, departed for Kwajalein and Guam. Between 13 September and 15 October she plied between Guam and Rota, then steamed east for the United States. After stays at Pearl Harbor and San Francisco, she arrived at San Diego, 26 January 1947, for inactivation. Decommissioned 6 February, she remained at San Diego as a unit of the Pacific Reserve Fleet until transferred to the Maritime Administration’s National Defense Reserve Fleet and laid up at Suisun Bay 7 November 1962 where she remains into 1970.