A Mohegan chief, son of the celebrated Uncas.
(YN–35:l. 91’; b. 23’; dr. 11’)
Oneka (YTB–729) was built in 1939 by Ira S. Bushey & Sons, Inc., Brooklyn, N.Y., as the diesel tug Counselor No. 478; acquired by the Navy in October 1939 by purchase; designated YN–35 and named Oneka on 23 August 1940; re-classified as YNT–3 on 8 April 1942, re-classified as YTB–729 on 4 August 1945.
Oneka first served the Navy as a harbor tug assigned to the 10th Naval District. She was taken out of service in October 1947 at Orange, Texas, where she was laid up until placed back in service in November 1952. Oneka was then assigned to the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Fla., on 26 February 1953.
Oneka was placed out of service and sold 11 April 1963 to National Bulk Carriers, Inc., New York, N.Y.