Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060



William Thomas O誰eill, Jr. was born 28 November 1914 in Stamford, Connecticut. On 17 July 1940, he enlisted in the U. S. Naval Reserve as Apprentice Seaman at New York City. He performed his active duty for training aboard U. S. S. New York. On 16 September 1940, he was appointed Midshipman, USNR, and completed training at Abbott Hall, Northwestern University, Chicago, III.


O誰eill was commissioned Ensign on 12 December 1940 and assigned to U. S. S. Arizona for duty.


Ensign O誰eill reported for duty on 29 December 1940. He was declared officially dead as of 7 December 1941, the date of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, T. H.


(DE188: dp. 1,620; l. 306; b. 367; dr. 118; s. 21 k.; cpl. 216; a. 3 3, 6 40mm; cl. Cannon)


O誰eill (DE188) was laid down 26 August 1943 by Federal SB and Drydock Corp., Newark, N. J.; launched 14 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. W. T. O誰eill; commissioned 6 December 1943, Lt. David S. Bill, Jr. in command.


Following a shakedown cruise to Bermuda, O誰eill reported to the U. S. Atlantic Fleet for duty. Her first major assignment was a convoy operation from New York to the United Kingdom. This was followed by a series of similar operations, shepherding convoys between U. S. ports and: Casablanca, French Morocco; Bizerte, Tunisia; and Belfast, North Ireland. All Atlantic crossings were made without the loss of a single vessel.


On October 31st O誰eill transited the Panama Canal and reported to the Pacific Fleet. Arriving in the forward area in December, she joined the Third Fleet under Admiral Halsey, and took part in the operations which culminated in the reconquest of Luzon.


In February 1945, O誰eill became a unit of the 5th Fleet under Admiral Spruance, and served as an escort for the transports which landed the Third Marine Division at Iwo Jima. This landing took place on February 24th, and thereafter O誰eill served in the anti-submarine screen around the island.


After a passage to Milne Bay, New Guinea, O誰eill joined the force assigned for the invasion of Okinawa. The initial landings were made on 1 April. In the prolonged fight for the island, she served almost continuously for 60 days on ASW picket duty耀hooting down a Japanese twin-engined bomber on 25 May, and being hit by a suicide plane on the 26th. On the latter occasion two men were killed and 17 were wounded aboard the ship.


Shortly after a change of command on 16 June, O誰eill returned to San Pedro, Calif. for repairs of battle damage and major overhaul. While in San Pedro the war in the Pacific came to an end. On completion of overhaul, she again transited the Panama Canal, returning to the Atlantic Fleet.


O誰eill was placed out of commission in reserve on 2 May 1946, and berthed at Green Cove Springs, Fla., until 23 October 1950, at which time she was transfered to the Netherlands under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program. O誰eill was struck from the U. S. Naval Register on 20 December 1950. After operating as Duboir (F809) she was returned to the USN in December 1967, and was sold to a scrap yard in West Germany in February 1968.