Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Oneida

 

Counties in Idaho, New York and Wisconsin. Name originates from an Iroquoian Indian tribe (Oneida) living in New York state and its environs.

 

IV

 

(Yacht: dp. 141.; l. 138; b. 206; dr. 96; s. 12 k.; cpl. 38)

 

Oneida (S.P.765), an iron yacht, formerly named Utowana, was built in 1883 by John Roach of Chester, Pa.; purchased by the Navy 25 August 1918 from Theodore Krumm of Melrose, Mass.; and commissioned 17 December 1918 at Boston, Lt. E. W. Keith, USNRF, in command.

 

Renamed Adelante the vessel was attached to the 1st Naval District and helped construct radio compass stations along the coast of Maine into July 1919. She decommissioned at Boston 18 August 1919 and was sold 30 March 1920 to J. Daniel Gully of Brooklyn, N. Y.