A semi-precious stone, either a transparent variety of Chrysolite, a magnesium iron silicate usually olive green; or a green garnet, a hard, brittle, glasslike mineral: alternate spelling of olivine.
(PYc22: dp. 120; l. 1240; b. 200; dr. 610; s. 13 k.; a. 1 3, 2 .50 cal. mg., 2 dct.)
Olivin (PYc22), a yacht built as Bidau for Mr. James A. Moffett by Bath Iron Works, in 1930, was acquired by the Navy from J. W. Drell 15 January 1942; converted by Miami Shipbuilding Co., Miami, Fla.; and commissioned 25 April 1942.
Assigned to the 4th Naval District, Olivin departed Miami 4 May for Philadelphia, Pa., via Charleston Navy Yard, arriving the 17th. She served as station ship in the Delaware River, examining and boarding ships until she decomissioned and was placed in service 21 March 1944 to continue operations off Cape May, N. J. She returned to the Philadelphia Navy Yard 15 August, was placed out of service 14 September, and was delivered to the Maritime Commission 23 October 1946 for scrapping.