A small island off the coast of Molokai, Hawaii.
(ARS(T)–2: dp. 4,100; l. 328’; b. 50’; dr. 11’2”; s. 11.6 k.; cpl. 289; a. 8 40mm, 12 20mm; cl. Laysan Island)
LST–1099 was laid down 1 December 1944 by the Jeffersonville Bridge and Machine Co., Jeffersonville, Ind.; redesignated ARS(T)–2 on 8 December 1944; named Okala 23 December; launched 8 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Susie Saulsbury; placed in reduced commission 19 June 1945 for ferrying down the Mississippi River; and commissioned in full at Algiers, La., 28 June 1945, Lt. Louis Silver in command.
After commissioning and fitting out in the New Orleans area, Okala conducted shakedown out of Galveston, Tex., until 29 July 1945. Stopping briefly at Gulfport, Miss., she then sailed via the Panama Canal and Pearl Harbor to Buckner Bay, Okinawa, her base of operations from 27 September until shifting to Yokosuka, Japan, in late November. Okala remained in the Far East until 25 March 1946, when she sailed via Guam and Pearl Harbor for Seattle and deactivation. The salvage craft tender decommissioned at Seattle 5 August, was struck from the Naval Vessel Register 15 October, and delivered to the Maritime Commission for later sale to the Columbia River Packers Association.