Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Ohioan

 

A former name retained.

 

(ID.3280: t. 6,646; l. 4288; b. 538; dr. 296; s. 12 k.; Cpl. 70; a. 1 5, 1 3.)

 

Ohioan (ID.3280), built in 1914 by the Maryland Steel Co., Sparrows Point, Md., was acquired by the Navy 5 August 1918 on loan charter from the American-Hawaiian S.S. Co., New York City, and commissioned 7 August 1918.

 

Assigned to NOTS, on the Army account, Ohioan was refitted, loaded with general cargo and dispatched to St. Nazaire, France, arriving 29 August. She spent the next month there and at Brest, and on 1 October sailed for New York where horse stalls were added; and on 1 November she sailed for La Pallice with equestrian and general cargo. Returning to the United States 5 December, Ohioan was transferred to the Cruiser and Transport Force and in 6 round trips returned over 8,000 troops to New York. Detached 16 September 1919, she decommissioned and was returned to her owner, the American-Hawaiian S.S. Co., 6 October 1919.