Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Ogeechee

 

A river in east central Georgia which empties into the Atlantic Ocean south of Savannah.

 

(AOG–35; dp. 2,700 (f.); l. 220’6”; b. 37’; dr. 13’1”; s. 10 k.; cpl. 62; a. 1 3”, 2 40mm., 3 20mm.; cl. Sequatchie; T. T1–M–A2)

 

Ogeechee (AOG–35) was laid down 7 May 1944 by the East Coast Ship Yard, Inc., Bayonne, N.J. under a Maritime Commission contract; acquired by the Navy 31 August 1944; commissioned 6 September 1944, Lt. William E. Peterson, USCGR, in command.

 

Manned by Coast Guard personnel, Ogeechee conducted shakedown operations in Chesapeake Bay then departed for Aruba, Netherlands West Indies, where she took on a full cargo of diesel oil 6 November. Transiting the Panama Canal 13 November, she proceeded via San Diego to Seattle where she discharged her cargo and where she underwent alterations and repairs for operations in the turbulent weather of the Aleutian Chain. After taking on her first cargo of gasoline, she departed Seattle 17 January 1945 for Adak, Alaska via the inland passage, Kodiak Island, and Dutch Harbor. She delivered her cargo to Attu Island then for the next several months continued to shuttle gasoline from the major tank farm facilities at Sand Bay, Alaska to Army and Navy bases west of Dutch Harbor. Ogeechee departed Kodiak 10 November for San Francisco where she arrived 19 November to begin the prodedure that resulted in decommissioning 18 February 1946. She was struck from the Naval Register 12 March then transferred to the Maritime Commission and sold 1 July.