A Cherokee Indian chief during the late 18th-century.
(YTB375: displacement 318 tons (full load); length 022; beam 25; draft 10; speed 12 knots; complement 12; class Allaquippa.)
Oconostota was laid down as YT–375, 3 April 1944, by the Gulfport Boiler and Welding Works, Port Arthur, Tex.; redesignated YTB–375, 15 May 1944, launched 22 May 1944; and placed in service 15 June 1944. In service for less than two years, Oconostota operated on the west coast until March 1946. She was then placed out of service and assigned to the San Diego Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet. Redesignated YTM375 effective February 1962, she was transferred to the 11th Naval District, 18 May 1962. Activated, Oconostota was further transferred, on loan, to the Scripps Institution of Oceanography the following September. She remained on loan to that institution until February 1975 when she was reacquired by the Navy. The harbor tug disappeared from the Navy list in 1979.
29 April 2005