Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Ocmulgee

 

A river in central Georgia formed by the confluence of the South, Yellow, and Alcovy rivers some 40 miles southeast of Atlanta and flowing south about 250 miles until joining the Oconee River.

 

(YTB–532: dp. 325 (f.); l 100’; b. 25’; dr. 11’6”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 8; cl. Hisada.)

 

Ocmulgee (YTB–532) was laid down by the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, N.J., 1 November 1944; launched 30 December 1944; and placed in service 2 June 1945.

 

Ocmulgee served the 3rd Naval District until transferred to Green Cove Springs, Fla., and placed out of service, in reserve, in March 1946. She remained berthed at Green Cove Springs until reactivated and assigned to the 6th Naval District in May 1947. Redesignated YTM–532 in February 1962, she has remained in service in that district into 1969.