Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Oceanus

 

In Greek mythology the god of the ocean, husband of Tethys, and father of the Oceanids and of all the rivers in the world.

 

(ARB–2: dp. 1,781; l. 27’9”; b. 50’; dr. 11’2”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 286; a. 1 3”, 8 40mm.; cl. Aristaeus)

 

Oceanus was laid down as LST–328, 12 November 1942, at the Navy Yard, Philadelphia; redesignated ARB–2, 25 January 1943; launched 11 February 1943; and commissioned 22 May 1943, Lt. Comdr. W. B. Studley in command.

 

Following shakedown in Chesapeake Bay, the battle damage repair ship Oceanus departed Norfolk, 23 July 1943, for the Pacific, arriving at Noumea, New Caledonia, 18 September. She remained there, converting LCIs to shoaldraft gunboats and making emergency repairs to damaged vessels. On 28 October she shifted to Espiritu Santo, thence, in 1944, to Florida Island. On 9 September 1944 she departed the Solomons in TG 31.4 and on the 20th arrived at Kossol Roads, Palaus. There she repaired, often while underway, craft and vessels damaged in the assaults against those islands and against the Philippines. In February, 1945, she steamed to Guam to join TG 51.5 for the Iwo Jima invasion, arriving on the 20th and remaining until 17 March.

 

The Okinawa campaign next took Oceanus to Kerama Retto, where work on ships damaged by kamikazes and bombs kept her on a round-the-clock schedule into mid-May. On 14 May she shifted to the Hagushi anchorage for emergency repairs to New Mexico (BB–40). Completing the work and returning to Kerama Retto’s “Scrap Iron Row” on the 21st, she remained until early June when she steamed to the Philippines.

 

Arriving at Leyte 15 June, she remained in San Pedro Bay until after the end of the war. Post war duties took her to Okinawa, thence to China. At Shanghai from October into December she serviced landing and patrol craft assigned to China Group. On 25 December she headed back to the United States to prepare for inactivation. Decommissioned as of January 1947, she was berthed at San Diego as a unit of the Pacific Reserve Fleet until struck from the Navy List 1 July 1961 and scrapped.