Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

O’Callahan

 

Captain Joseph T. O’Callahan (1905–1964), Chaplain Corps, USNR, served on board carrier Franklin when she endured her fiery ordeal off the coast of Japan in 1945. Captain O’Callahan received the Medal of Honor for “conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty.”

 

(DE–1051: dp. 3,403; l.414’6”; b. 44’; dr. 24’2”; s. 20+ k.; cpl. 220; a. 2 5”, 4 tt., 1 ASROC, 1 DASH; cl. Garcia)

 

O’Callahan (DE–1051) was laid down 19 February 1964 by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; launched 20 October 1965; sponsored by Sister Rose Marie O’Callahan of the Philippines Maryknoll College, sister of Chaplain O’Callahan and first nun to sponsor a U.S. Navy ship; and commissioned 13 July 1968 at Boston Naval Shipyard, Boston, Mass., Captain Robert L. Brown in command.

 

After fitting out at Boston, O’Callahan got underway 16 August for her homeport of San Diego, Calif., calling at Norfolk, Charleston, and Fort Lauderdale enroute. She stood out of San Diego 1 October for twenty five days of electronics and weapons systems tests off the Pacific Northwest, then she commenced shakedown out of San Diego 4 November. After at-sea training operations off the Hawaiian Islands 6–17 February 1969, she entered Long Beach Naval Shipyard 4 March for post-shakedown availability through mid-May. She had since into 1970, conducted training operations out of San Diego in preparation for her first WestPac deployment.