Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Oberlin

 

Cities in Kansas, Louisiana, and Ohio.

 

(PC–560: dp. 350; l 173’; b. 23’; dr. 8’; s. 20 k.; cpl. 46; a. 2 3”, 2 20mm., 2 dct.; cl. PC–461)

 

Oberlin (PC–560), one of 36 submarine chasers in her series, was laid down by Jeffersonville Boat Co., Jeffersonville, Ind., 25 November 1941; launched 17 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs L. C. Holm; and commissioned 17 June.

 

The new submarine chaser proceeded to Key West, Fla. for fitting out and shakedown, which she completed 25 July. She then served as a training craft at the Submarine Chaser Training Center, Key West, until ordered to the Panama Canal Zone in December 1943. Oberlin operated out of Coco Solo, Canal Zone through the end of World War II, escorting convoys and serving as anti-submarine and harbor entrance patrol craft. In December 1945 she was assigned Reserve Training duty out of New Orleans.

 

Placed out of commission, in reserve 28 January 1947, she berthed at Green Cove Springs, Fla. for the next ten years. She was struck from the Naval Register 5 September 1957 and sold to F. and A. Transportation of N.J., Inc., New York City.