Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Nymph

 

In Greek mythology, a type of minor divinities represented as beautiful maidens dwelling in mountains, forests, meadows, or springs.

 

(StwStr: t. 171; l 161’2”; b. 30’4”; dph. 4’2”; dr. 5’; s. 4 mph.; a. 8 24–pdr. sb.)

 

Cricket No. 3, a stern wheel wooden river steamer built at Cincinnati in 1863, was purchased by the Navy at Cincinnati 8. March 1864, fitted out as a “tinclad” gunboat, and commissioned at Mound City, III s Nymph 11April 1864, Acting Master Patrick Donnelly in command.

 

Nymph patrolled the Mississippi and its tributaries through the end of the Civil War, helping to maintain Union lines of supply and communication. She decommissioned 2½ miles above Cairo, III 28 June 1865 and was sold at public auction at Mound City 17 August 1865 to M. A. Hutchinson.