Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Nyanza

 

A former name retained.

 

(SwStr: t. 203; a. 6 24–pdr. how.)

 

Nyanza, a wooden side wheel steamer built at Belle Vernon, Pa., in 1863, was purchased by the Navy at Cincinnati Ohio 4 November 1863; and commissioned at Mound City: Ill., Acting Lt. Samuel B. Washburn in command 21 December 1863.

 

During the Civil War, Nyanza patrolled the Mississippi and its tributaries protecting Union lines of communication and supply on the great inland waterway and preventing Confederate activity. She captured schooner J. W. Wilder in the Atchafalaya River, La. 15 March 1864; and took schooner Mandoline in Atchafalaya Bay, La., laden with cotton 13 April.

 

After hostilities ceased, Nyanza decommissioned at New Orleans 21 July 1865 and was sold at public auction there to Owen Finnegan 12 August 1865.

 

Redocumented 26 August 1865, the side wheeler remained in merchant service until 1873.