Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Nutmeg

 

The hard, aromatic kernel of the seed of an East Indian tree, used as a spice.

 

(AN–33: dp. 560; l 163’3”; b. 30’6”; dr. 11’9”; s. 13 k.; cpl. 48; a. 1 3”; cl. Aloe)

 

Nutmeg (YN–28), formerly Sycamore, was laid down 18 October 1940 by American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, Ohio; launched 13 March 1941; placed in service 30 October. Allocated to the 1st Naval District for net tending duty in the Boston Harbor area she was reclassified AN–33 on 20 June 1944.

 

Through the spring of 1945 Nutmeg was engaged in maintaining and repairing net defenses in Boston Harbor. In May she was attached to CTF 24 for the purpose of maintaining the antitorpedo net in Placentia Harbor, Argentia, Newfoundland. She departed Argentia 19 June with YNG–27 in tow, arriving 23 June at South Boston Navy Yard for overhaul and repairs.

 

Nutmeg had been scheduled for duty at Pearl Harbor when she departed Boston 21 July for transit to the West Coast via Key West, the Canal Zone, and San Pedro, Calif. Voyage repairs and a main engine casualty necessitated a change in schedule, and with hostilities ended Nutmeg was placed on the inactive list and shifted to the Columbia River Reserve Basin. Placed out of commission, in reserve in January 1947, she was transferred to the National Defense Reserve Fleet in 1959 and was struck from the Navy List 1 September 1962. She remains in the NDRF into 1970.