Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Numitor

 

In Roman mythology the mother-in-law of Romulus, legendary founder of Rome.

 

(ARL–17: dp. 2,125; l 328’; b. 50’; dr. 14’; s. 12 k.; cpl. 253; a. 8 40mm, 8 20mm; cl. Achelous)

 

Numitor (ARL–17), originally designated LST–954, was laid down 19 September 1944 at Bethlehem Hingham Corp., Hingham, Mass.; launched 18 October 1944 and, after conversion by Bethlehem Key Highway Yard, Baltimore, Md., commissioned 3 April, 1945, Lt. Davis Minshew in command.

 

After shakedown in Chesapeake Bay, the landing-craft repair ship departed Norfolk, 12 May 1945; transited the Panama Canal; received additional gear on the West Coast, sailed via Pearl Harbor, the Marshalls, and Carolines, and reached Okinawa, 10 August 1945. With the end of the war her base of operations transferred to Sasebo, Japan where the ship continued in occupation service from 22 September until 22 February 1946.

 

Returning to the United States, Numitor again transited the Panama Canal and arrived Orange, Tex. 17 June 1946. Initially assisting in the deactivation of other vessels, she was placed out of commission in reserve 1 July 1947. Struck from the Navy List 1 April 1960, ARL–17 was sold to the Southern Scrap Material Co. of New Orleans. The hull was later sold to the Dravo Corp. for conversion to a drydock.