An Indian word.
(YTB–399: dp. 237; l 100’; b. 25’; dr. 9’7”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 8)
Numa (YTB–399) was built by Gibbs Gas Engine Co. Jacksonville, Fla. in 1944; launched 22 November; sponsored by Mrs. Alice J. Endres of Savannah, Ga.; and assigned duty with the 12th Naval District, San Francisco.
At San Francisco through the end of hostilities, she assisted the ships during docking and berthing evolutions. She also provided on-call towing services and waterfront fire protection, and served as an inner harbor patrol craft.
In March 1946 Numa was placed out of service, and berthed at Astoria, Ore. She shifted berths to Green Cove Springs, Fla. in 1954, and in December of that year she was reactivated and assigned operations with the 6th Naval District, Charleston, S.C. Redesignated YTM in February 1962, she continues active at Charleston into 1970.