Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Nottoway

 

A river in southern Virginia and northern North Carolina.

 

II

 

(ATA–183: dp. 610; l 143’; b. 33’10”; dr. 13’2”; s. 13 k.; cpl. 45; a. 1 3”; cl. ATA–121)

 

Nottoway (ATA–183) originally designated ATR–110, was laid down 14 July 1944 at Levingston Shipbuilding Co., Orange, Tex.; launched 16 August 1944; and commissioned 26 October 1944, Lt. Richard S. Lowry in command.

 

Concluding shakedown a month after commissioning, ATA–183 reported to Commander, Panama Sea Frontier, 14 December 1944. Based at Coco Solo, Canal Zone, the ocean tug assisted a variety of vessels transiting the Canal and towed ships to Charleston, S.C., and Aruba, Netherlands West Indies.

 

This necessary duty continued until early 1946 when the craft steamed back to Orange, Tex. for inactivation and decommissioned 22 October. In July 1948, while assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, ATA–183 was named Nottoway. In 1961 this tug was transferred to the Maritime Administration and placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet. She remains berthed at Mobile, Ala. into 1970.