The direction to the right of a person facing the sunset; direction of the North Pole from any other point on the earth’s surface.
(YFB–46: dp. 1,720; l. 248’5”; b. 36’; dr. 11’; s. 15 k.)
North (YFB–46) was built in 1911 by Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif. as the double-ended steam ferryboat Treasure Island for the city of Martinez, Calif.
Acquired by the Navy from the city of Martinez on bareboat charter, she was renamed North 11 March 1943, accepted by the Navy at Benicia, Calif. two weeks later, placed in service 27 March, and allocated to the 12th Naval District for duty.
North shifted to San Francisco and underwent conversion to a barracks ship along side repair barge YR–39 at Mare Island commencing 15 December. Upon completion of her conversion 16 March 1944, she was placed in service 31 March at San Francisco as a floating barracks ship. She remained in an active status until placed out of service 3 July 1946 and berthed at Suisun Bay. After preparation for return to her owner, she was delivered to the War Shipping Administration in July and struck from the Navy List 31 July.