Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Nopatin

 

A former name retained.

 

(SP–2195: t. 3,539; l. 320’2”; b. 48’1”, dr. 16’; s. 23 k.)

 

Nopatin, a transport built in 1913 by Harlan & Hollingsworth, Wilmington, Del. as Manhattan, was acquired by the Navy as Nopatin from Central Vermont Transportation Co. 11 January 1918 and commissioned 28 January 1918, Lt. Comdr. Alexander Smart in command.

 

Operating in the English Channel during the waning months of the war, Nopatin steamed between Southampton, England and France in the hazardous duty of transporting men and supplies through waters infested with enemy submarines. After war-time service and decommissioning, she was ordered sold 15 August 1919.