An Indian word.
(YTB–508: dp. 218; l. 100’; b. 25’; dr. 10’; s. 12 k.; cpl. 8; cl. Hisada)
Nootka (YTB–508) was contracted 10 August 1944; laid down 5 May 1945 by Commerical Iron Works, Portland, Ore.; launched 2 July; completed 8 November; and allocated to the 13th Naval District, Seattle, Wash. for duty.
Through the end of hostilities Nootka provided towing and berthing services in the Puget Sound area. She also assumed waterfront fire protection and inner harbor patrol duties on an on-call basis.
In March 1946 the tug was placed in reserve, out of service, and berthed at Bremerton, Wash. as a unit of the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Redesignated YTM–771 in March 1966, Nootka transferred to the 6th Naval District, Charleston, S.C. where she remains berthed in a reserve, out-of-service status into 1969.