Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Nokomis

 

Grandmother and nurse of Hiawatha.

 

Nokomis was taken over by the Navy 1 July 1917 and re-named Kwasind (SP-1233) (q.v.) 22 November 1917.

 

II

 

(YT–142: dp. 218; l. 100’10”; b. 25’; dr. 9’7”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 8)

 

Nokomis (YT–142), a diesel electric tug, was built at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Wash.; launched 29 November 1939; completed in March, 1940; and allocated to the 14th Naval District for duty.

 

Upon arrival Pearl Harbor, Nokomis assumed the duty of providing towing and berthing services, and was available for waterfront fire protection and inner harbor security. Reclassified YTB–142, in 1944, she has remained active as a service craft based at Pearl Harbor into 1970.